Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Creamy Lime Squares

Last week, our neighbors brought by three, very large bags of fruit from their citrus trees. While appreciative, I was also stumped - what's a girl to do with this many grapefruits and limes?

My sister recommended grapefruit bars, but I couldn't find a recipe that I trusted. Luckily, I stumbled across a recipe for lime bars that sounded awesome, and sure enough, they were great!

To be honest, the first thing that attracted me to the recipe was the website itself - Eat, Live, Run. The blogger's name is Jenna, and according to her 'About Me' she's a trained chef, food photographer, freelance food writer, and recipe developer. Already impressed, I read on to learn that she supports local ingredients and active living. What's not to love? I obviously had to try her recipe for creamy lime squares, and in turn, share it here. I'm sure you'll enjoy them as much as I did!

Creamy Lime Squares

Recipe from Eat, Live, Run

Ingredients
For crust
1 cup flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cold

For creamy lime filling
2/3 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
4 eggs
2 teaspoon lime zest

Plus enough powdered sugar to sprinkle on top to serve.

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. To make the crust: Whisk together flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the cold butter and work with your fingers until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Press into a greased nine-inch pan and bake 20 minutes or so, until golden brown.
3. To make the filling: Whisk together the granulated sugar and flour in a bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Add the zest and lime juice and mix until smooth.
4. Pour the filling over the warm crust and return the dish to the oven to bake for another 20 minutes. You'll know the bars are done when the filling no longer jiggles. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
5. To serve, cut in squares and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Store covered in fridge.


Thanks again to Jenna for such a great recipe! I'll certainly be making these again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment